Monday, October 31, 2011

Recent Successes (and only 1 fail!)


Today, I unlocked the door to my classroom and found this sweet little note left for me....they even signed their English names :-)

The school had a big Halloween party, where all the kids went on an activity scavenger hunt. The teachers all wore witch hats and they decorated the school in spider webs and pumpkins. It was really sweet. At the end, they had a huge table of candy and baked goods the kids brought from home...crepes, cakes, cookies...yum yum! 



I have to say...I was pretty proud. My kids were all split up and in groups with kids i didn't know...but I was standing at the station with the English activity...and every time one of my kids got there I watched. In every case, without fail, my kid was the one who was taking charge and leading the team, correcting the mistakes, and answering all the questions of the other kids.  At the end, they would always look up at me and catch me smiling a big smile at them. I really hope they become encouraged by how much they know and continue learning English....

Anyway, so I told the teacher standing beside me how proud I was and she said that I should be...that they talk about me all the time, and when I teach one half, the other half is jealous and can't wait until their turn. Also, she said that they have a penpal program with a class in England...and she told me that not some...but ALL of the kids have been writing about me in their letters. It was really touching. 


In other French news, I went on another hike on Sunday with Yazid and all of his friends. They are so much fun, and even though i couldn't speak a lot, it did me a TON of good to listen to them talk back and forth. By the end of the night I realized that I was understanding most of what they were saying, and when they said something to me, I didn't have to translate it in my head first before responding...that is a HUGE step for me!! Luckily, they all speak about as much English as I speak French, so we had a lot of franglais going...which is definitely progress for me!! So here are some pics from that hike...it was gorgeous. 

My french friends :)

Sugar Cane juice!! They just pressed a giant cane in a machine and voila...

aaaaamazingggg







we got lost and ended up walking through a field of lava from an eruption in the 70's....it felt like walking on the moon! 


So, needless to say...it has been a good couple of days for French progression. 

Although the embarrassing moments are still coming....
When trying to ask the farmer if he had leeks, I accidentally asked if he had breasts...


He had leeks. 


1 comment:

  1. There's pictures are so amazing. But your story about the Halloween party at school and your English students is so moving, Jen. What a wonderful experience for you and them both. I'm so happy for you, and so relieved, but not at all surprised, that everything is going so well for you. Plus I love being able to brag about you to my students. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete