Monday, October 31, 2011

Dipavali--The Hindu Festival of Lights

Saturday was the day of the big parade for Dipavali, the Hindu 5 day celebration about the triumph of good over evil. It was an amazing show, and so many people were there...everyone comes to celebrate each other's religions here. Here is a small slice of it:




I have a friend here in St. Denis now, named Yazid, who I met on the street when he heard my English accent. He studied in South Africa so he knows a little bit of English, but he wanted someone to practice talking with, since no one here speaks it. I told him if he'd give me french conversation practice in exchange, it was a deal, and we have been friends ever since! He has been just as amazing as everyone else I've met here...inviting me out with his friends, taking me and Schafer to dinner at real Kreole restaurants, and..Saturday, he drove us all the way to St. Andre (saving us an hour in the bus and a 4 euro ticket each!)

So they have a big area with all these different tents and things to do...get henna tattoos, massages, eat, etc. etc.






Then there was this big road, where the parade would take place at night. During the day, everyone was running around getting ready.  






 The fireworks started at dusk, and the parade began!! It was amazing :-)








1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Love the fact that everyone celebrates everyone else's religious holidays. Would love to see a big Diwali celebration someday!

    ReplyDelete