Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 2: Wine and Politics

I had a lovely day. Since I was wide awake all night, I slept in until Nathalie woke me at 13:30. Downstairs was PA, his brother and his niece, 8 year old Eliza. She was hilarious and adorable. She knew only a few words in English, like colors and her age, and "How are you?" When I asked her if she knew the song "Old McDonald had a farm" she said no....but she knew of McDonald's the fast restaurant, because there is one in Saint-Denis!! Hahaha. Funny but sad. After we all hung out for a while, we went to PA's  sister's house. They have an amazing garden as well, and she baked a petite cake for us while we drank coffee. They spoke very fast at the table so I was mostly lost. But her children.....one boy, Thomas, and the girl....can't remember her name but she was 3 and probably the most gorgeous little girl I have ever seen. She had big brown eyes and long wavy brown hair and the sweetest little baby french voice. The thing about the people on this island is that everyone is SO mixed...they get the best of every culture. Big dark eyes, tanned skin, dark but fine hair. They are truely all just gorgeous people.

After that, we went to Nathalie's sister's house where her mother, her two sisters, and her nephew were having drinks and snacks. I walked in and they told little Jeremy I was American, since he is studying English in school (he is 5). His eyes got wide when I started speaking french. "Elle parle français!!!!" He was very surprised to hear french come out of my mouth. We all sat down and talked for hours (In french, bien sur!) while we drank wine and played games with Jeremy.



Nathalie's sisters with Jeremy, Nathalie up top, her mother, and PA at the end :-)



There was a point later, after we named every American singer we loved, every French singer we loved, and every classic American film...that Nathalie's mother asked what I thought about Obama. I just wrote out a three paragraph essay about my thoughts on politics...but instead of that...since my blog is new and I am a little sensitive about it still and I would not like my first blog comments to be angry people yelling at me about politics....I will just say that I was caught off guard!! Haha. I stumbled through VERY bad french, saying something along the lines that I really don't have a political affiliation...that socially, I believe people should be free to do what they want as long as they don't hurt another person, and that fiscally, I kind of wish I could afford healthcare but I don't know what the right answer for that is either. I'm not sure how that was taken...because she said she agreed, and then it grew quiet and we talked about singers a lot more after that. This means one of three things: 1.) she really did agree with me and we had no argument, 2.) she could tell that I did not really care about politics, or she just thought i was not knowledgeable enough to carry on a conversation about it, or 3.) my political french was so bad that she had no idea what i was trying to say!!

Anyway, it blew over really fast and we were all back to laughing about everything else. They were very sweet to me, and Stephanie, the mother of Jeremy, offered to take me to the beach tomorrow, so we have a date!! I can't wait :-) 

All in all, a good night in La Réunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment