Sunday, December 4, 2011

C'est la vie.

Things have been busy. This American girl finds herself now with three jobs. How did this happen, you may ask? I don't know. I think it is in the water we drink.

Teaching is going very well. I even love lesson planning. The kids are no longer afraid of me, though, so this makes class a little more difficult and I always leave totally exhausted. How do parents of young children manage this for more than a few hours at time? I have no idea.

I also started to nanny...not sure exactly how this happened, it just kind of did. Other American assistants give English lessons for extra money but I'm not really interested in that...I'd rather do something where I can speak/learn just a little French too. My first family has a little boy who is seven months old. His mom is English and his dad is French, he is in the Navy so they live on post. Being back on a military base is a little weird. Mostly, I'm just jealous that the French military gets to wear shorts...

My second family has three little girls and spent 3 years in California. They now own the only frozen yogurt place here...brought the idea back from Cali. Genious. The girls still speak pretty good English and it's what they use when they talk to each other. However...when they want mom to know they are fighting, she tells me, they switch to French. I find this hilarious. Mom worries they won't progress much anymore, with no one here to talk to and the English in schools far beneath their level. So I pick them up from school once a week and we speak in English for a few hours until someone comes home from work.


I have had maybe two modeling jobs per week...nothing big just standing around in heels, being a live advertisement. These jobs are valuable all the same...I am constantly meeting people, speaking in French and um...finding myself in some bizarre situations...


There's time for a social life after all this, of course. I'll write more about that later...
So this is life now. It's settled a bit...not to a normal routine...I suspect I'll get that down a few weeks before it's time to leave. Isn't that how it always goes? :-) But it's good. I'm happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment