Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Flexitarianism



One random day in November, in the middle of a BBQ, I decided I wanted to stop eating meat.
As an ex-dabbler in personal training, fitness competitions, and nutrition, I knew I had to do some research to get the required nutrients elsewhere, which turned out to be easier than I thought. The research actually ended up convincing me even more that an anti-meat lifestyle was for me.

Then Christmas came, and I ate some oysters and fois gras. Then a friend invited us over and served fish. For Richard's birthday, we had some seafood tapas that were delicious. I wanted to write something about this new lifestyle change, but I was confusing myself. I can't really claim to be a vegetarian, but I had no idea what I was. What do you call someone who is about 90% veg and sometimes eats meat for random occasions? Well not really meat, it was like fish and fois gras. Is there a name for someone who eats 90% veg, sometimes fish and sometimes fois gras? Pescefoisian?

Well here comes the good news!! Thanks to my friend Erin I can now settle comfortably in an official label. I am a flexitarian. Don't worry, it's a real word. (Despite my spellcheck telling me it is NOT). Flexitarians are people who have a plant based diet with the occasional inclusion of meat.

This word makes me happy because it lets you eat in a freeing shade of gray. No longer do I have to feel like a hypocrite if sometimes my body wants meat. Nor do I feel obligated to join the ranks of crazy judgmental vegetarians condemning people to hell on the internet. I don't have to keep wondering if this is just a phase that will eventually fail like every weight-loss diet invented ever. There are no feelings of being restricted, deprived, or trapped. And I don't have to settle for crappy vegetarian options at fancy restaurants (The house salad is the only thing that doesn't have meat!? And it's still 29 euros? Oh YAY!)

During my last few months of experimenting, I've come to realize that what people eat is quite a controversial subject. This is what works for me, but each person is free in my eyes to do what feels right for their body. With that said, I think that cutting back on the crazy amount of meat we consume could do us (as in humanity) a lot of good. Even just a little bit. Meatless Mondays, for example!

Here is the video that tipped me over the edge. The image that stuck in my mind the most is the idea of farmers in poor countries, whose own children are starving, forced to sell their grain to countries like America so that we can use it to feed livestock.


Maybe one day I'll no longer want that last 10%. But for now, I can honestly say for the first time in my life, I'm happy about what I'm eating and I feel good. After years of trying every diet, spending insane amounts of time in the gym, and generally hating my body, I finally found what works for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment